We will be spending 10 days in Scotland and 3 days in Northern Ireland. Everything booked and the real countdown is on!
With only one night exception we will be staying in Airbnbs to get a more authentic local feel. We have a bunch of “must sees” and a lot more “if we have times”.
- The first two nights we will be staying at the Castle Rock Apartment right in the shadow of Edinburgh Castle!
- We will then drive to through Stirling (site of William Wallace’s most famous battle against the English) on our way to
Cairngorms National Park. We will stay in Coylumbridge within the park for one night.
- The next way we will explore Inverness, the “Capital of the Highlands”, Urquhart Castle on the banks of famous Loch Ness, and then to the most photographed castles in all of Scotland,
Eilean Donan Castle.
- We will stay in Kilmuir on the Isle of Skye to spend two days exploring some of the most beautiful natural landscapes in all of the UK if not the world!
- After that We will take an early morning ferry to Tarbert on the Isle of Harris and Lewis on the Outer Hebrides. This is among the most remote areas of Scotland. There are ruins of ancient cultures dating back 5 thousand years! We will spend 2 days exploring this remote and isolated part of Scotland that still predominantly speaks Gaelic.
- After another ferry we will head through Glenfinnan to see the viaduct made famous in the Harry Potter movies, Fort William, and Glencoe where the MacDonald clan (Mom’s ancestors) were brutally attacked on English orders. We will reach the suburbs of Kilmarnock by the end of the day.
- We will spend the next two days exploring Glasgow, Scotland’s largest city, and Newmilns (home to my mom’s ancestors dating back to the 1500’s).
- We will then say goodbye to Scotland by taking another ferry to the capital of Northern Ireland, Belfast.
- Belfast will be home base for the next three days as we explore the Antrim coast including Londonderry which was home to my 3rd great-grandfather, James McAuley.
- After all of that we will head back to reality but hopefully much more rich culturally (but not financially).
Stay tuned for updates as we travel!